This might interest this crowd. I built a decentralized invite system with a Pachira Lottree for a cryptocurrency called Merit.
Just like lobste.rs and std.bz, Merit is invite only. There were many reasons behind this but some of them are
- Create a valuable identity on the blockchain.
- Reduce the rate at which bad actors can function in the system.
- Provide stable growth which can provide some price stability.
- Create a Lottery Tree system.
- Provide a diffusion of who holds new coins.
You can read the detailed technical parts in the bluepaper or read the code which is live now.
I will provide a summary here.
- Invites are created by miners and the amount is controlled via looking at growth using a moving average.
- Invites are distributed via a decentralized lottery.
- Users are incentivized to use their invites in a productive way via a Pachira Lottree, which defends against sybil attacks.
Besides this aspect Merit has some other features but I wanted to outline a feature that I think is very unique in the cryptocurrency space using some fairly new research into lottery trees. The effect on user growth seems to have been positive